Friday, May 23, 2008

"To appease the spirit of Marat"

So after a brief hiatus to rework a one-act play, I'm back in the beloved salt mines to work on the next chapter of Sculptural Assassination.

The topic, as promised, is iconoclasm of the French Revolution. Now it was obvious to me, once I decided to include the Enlightenment uprising, that I needed a single instance of statue smashing and not an overview of many instances around the country. And with this in mind, I began digging in the journals for examples. And I may have come up with a beaut. (Though I reserve all rights to swap plans as digging progresses.)

It seems that after Marat was killed, that bastion of solid enlightenment thinking, the people were pissed and decided to raise a "Temple of Reason" in Fountainbleu, and, to inaugurate it, would stack paintings, statues, charters, etc. and torch the whole thing to "Appease the spirit of Marat". Sounds like a good round up to me. On the other hand, there could be a lot more juice where that came from. Remember, these rebels were out for marmoreal blood.

No morals here, so far. No lessons to be learned or promulgated. Just raw iconoclasm. Just as with all of the other chapters, I may find myself somewhere I never heard of before.

More as things develop...

No comments: